Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Augusts’ IBA Meeting Topic: Leadership - Aug 12 - Bootstrapping

Hi ,

Most bootstrapping entrepreneurs have at least one thing in common: it’s lonely and even sometimes a little scary at the top. So, in our upcoming monthly peer meeting, we’ll be talking about field-tested Leadership techniques geared specifically for bootstrappers.

What Leadership challenges (and solutions) have you faced or are currently facing? To get your juices flowing, here a few challenges we’ve heard from other bootstrappers:

- I have a clear vision for what my company is to become, but no one else “gets” it. What experience do you have articulating and communicating your vision to your employees/customers/friends and family?

- I started this business because I am passionate about our product/service, but I never set out to be “in charge”. I’m not comfortable being the leader, having everyone looking to me for the answers. What experience do you have being in a role you didn’t really want to play? How did you handle it and what was the outcome?

- I consider myself a “lead-by-example” type of leader…I roll up my sleeves and do what needs to be done and expect others to do the same. But my employees don’t have the same sense of urgency or attention to detail that I have. I wonder if I should be leading them differently. What is your leadership style? What type of employee is your style most effective with? What type of employee has that style proved to be ineffective with?

- I wear a lot of hats in my company – I’m the visionary leader setting direction for the team, the client service manager ensuring our clients get what they expect from us, and the janitor cleaning the bathroom and washing the windows. What experience do you have leading vs. managing vs. doing it yourself? In what situations have you found each of those techniques most effective?

And I’m sure you’ve got a few that we haven’t heard of yet! Don’t miss this rare opportunity to explore a wide variety of Leadership challenges and solutions with your bootstrapping peers.

The meeting will be on Wednesday, August 12th from 7 to 9pm at TechColumbus (1275 Kinnear Rd., Columbus). To attend this meeting, just register as an IBA Member or Guest at http://www.bootstrappingassociation.org/join.html.

Please feel free to forward this on to any bootstrapping entrepreneurs who would like an opportunity to share challenges and solutions with a group of like-minded peers.

Best regards,

Kim Troy
Co-Founder, International Bootstrapping Association
www.bootstrappingassociation.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home